Monday, May 23, 2011

Top Ten

For a couple of weeks now I've been trying to scheme ways to maintain discipline in writing and blogging. As was unfortunately typical, the designs never made it off the drawing board. This past week was a pretty eventful one for me. It marked not only the 2 year milestone from when Ash and I started dating (May 22), but also the ten year anniversary of my coming to Christ (May 19).
To be perfectly honest my original aspiration was to let loose with some mind-shattering, literary masterpiece that would elevate me overnight into blogger-of-the-year. Sadly after several hours of attempts over the past few days, all I've gathered is that good writing never finds its origin solely in a desire to produce good writing. To be more to the point, I rarely have difficulty with ideas for things to write about, it's just a matter of overcoming my obnoxious ego to get there.
With that said, here are at least 10 subjects that have had the greatest impact on me over the past 10 years of following Christ. 10 things of which I am committed to continue growing in my understanding.

1. Grace - An offense to pride, and the only firm foundation
2. Humility - If maturity is a feast, humility is your plate
3. The Call to Mission - Created in Jesus Christ to do good works
4. Total Depravity - Sinners need a Saviour
5. The Biblical Narrative - The Word of God stands firm
6. Spiritual Leadership - Passion, vision, towels and basins
7. The Church - Home away from home
8. Death - The final enemy, reduced to an empty tomb
9. The Sovereignty of God - Unshaken through the storms
10. Marriage - The Gospel wrapped around my finger

Happy Long Week-end!

Blessings,

Jake Rivers

No comments:

Post a Comment